Joy Medori M.C.
Registered Provisional Psychologist
You know something is wrong. And you know exactly what you have to do and say to yourself, but it’s not working. Thinking about it just makes it worse. And avoiding or just ignoring it is making it feel like something bad keeps following you around. You feel like you tried everything. You want to get unstuck, get moving, but you end up in the same place. And the cycle continues.
At some point, we want to understand how we got here – wherever that may be. And more importantly, how our patterns may have limited us as well as how these patterns have helped us survive. We can then begin to shed the layers so we can break old patterns that don’t serve us and uncover the parts of ourselves that helps us grow.
My approach is rooted in attachment theory and sensorimotor psychotherapy. I also bring experience and training in play therapy and sand tray therapy. I value individuals as they are, rich in their unique histories of connection and loss, success and failures, stability and transitions, and in resilience and hope. I use the approaches of Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Mindfulness Based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Play Therapy, Sandplay and Theraplay. I also use Emotionally Focused Therapy for my work with couples and individuals. And I use these approaches (and my humour!) to help you uncover what’s already there. Because you are more than capable of charting your own course; a path forward that is influenced by your past, but not defined by it.
Individuals and Couples:
- Level 1 Sensorimotor Psychotherapy: Affect Dysregulation, Survival
- Defenses, and Traumatic Memory
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Compassionate Inquiry
- Intergenerational Trauma
- Certified Trainer: Danger Assessment
- Certified Trainer: Domestic Violence Survivor Assessment
Play Therapy Training
- Level 1 and Level 2: Theraplay
- Certificate in Sandplay with Special Populations using Play Therapy
- Skills and Techniques
- Certificate in Treatment of Trauma using Play Therapy Skills and
- Green Stream: Foundations of Play Therapy